How to Select the Perfect Basmati Rice?
Basmati rice is different and most people like it for its look and aroma. It is fancier than other stuff that people use. A perfect basmati rice is long and slightly tapered at the corners of the grain. Basmati rice is not flattered at the corners. Rice comes in various groups and sizes. There is long, medium, and short grain rice. Each rice is grown in different regions under different climatic conditions.
Basmati rice is of the long grain format and is skinny. There is also sella basmati rice and brown basmati rice. Sella basmati rice is one of the newest long-grain rice that came just a few years back. This rice plant grows at the rate of about two to six feet. It has long, flat, and pointed leaves. This sella basmati rice is popular for its delicious taste and it is easy to cook. This rice is best to prepare pulao, kheer, etc. This rice is longer than other rice varieties and provides a better cooking option that is best suited for cooking. Indian climatic condition favours well with growing this rice and its production areas are in the state of Haryana, Punjab, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Bihar.
Brown basmati rice is aromatic and is long-grained, which is considered a whole grain as it maintains its brand and germ coating and not being milled. Brown basmati rice carries a nutty taste and has a unique texture and is excellent rice for preparing food.
What is perfect basmati rice?
Basmati rice is a common rice in South Asian and Indian cuisine. It is available in brown and white varieties and is popular for its pleasant aroma and nutty flavor. Basmati rice is considered perfect basmati rice for daily consumption. Brown rice is a whole grain rice with an outer protective shell, called a hull. Unlike white rice, this rice still has the bran and germ layer, which has a huge amount of nutrients. It contains compounds like luteolin, flavonoid antioxidants apigenin, and quercetin that have a significant role to prevent certain diseases. Consuming flavonoids rich food reduces heart disease and cancer risks. Brown rice has similar carbs and calories as white rice; however, white rice has the bran and germ removed from it. Brown rice has more fiber content and is rich in protein. When fiber and protein are rich in food, it provides fullness and helps in controlling sugar and maintaining a healthy weight.
How to select the right basmati rice?
The aroma of cooked basmati is the main attraction for many people. This superior grain is dubbed with scented pearl and is used in many Indian dishes to increase the flavour. India is the largest exporter of basmati rice and has exported almost 33,000 crores worth of this rice. There are about 29 basmati rice varieties grown in India. Every rice grain looks alike, and to choose the finest one for cooking, it has to be differentiated based on the basmati rice:
- Shape and size
- Aroma, even before cooking good quality basmati has an aroma on it
- Moisture content
- Its overall appearance
- Number of foreign materials in it which denotes the purity value
- Its taste and aroma after cooking
- The length of the rice, bigger the length, it is better
What are the finest varieties of perfect basmati rice?
Basmati rice has some fine varieties. They are:
- Organic basmati rice – This is the latest basmati rice variety and is considered the best. It shows a way to reduce exposure to harmful chemicals. This rice has the following benefits:
- Less fat content
- High calorific value
- Good natural source of energy
- Rich in protein
- No harmful pesticides and chemicals are used
- Good source of vitamins like thiamine and niacin
- Retains its original aroma and taste
- Brown basmati rice – Health-conscious people prefer this rice and nutritionists also recommends this for a healthy diet. Brown basmati rice is one of the best foods that go in a healthy diet chart. It has various benefits:
- It has good iron content and includes a good amount of fibre in the diet
- Unrefined rice variety
- Promotes good health and reduces the risk of heart disease
- Satisfies hunger faster, and it has less calorie intake
- Better than white rice for diabetic people
- Sella basmati rice – This rice is grown in large quantities across India. Sella basmati rice doubles after cooking and it does not stick together after cooking due to the high content of amylose. Sella basmati rice is one of the favourites of people and it was just a few years ago. It is the longest basmati variety and has a sweet aroma. This rice is an excessive source of carbohydrates.